if they'd take the 12z12 tarp on Alone show - Arms Locker
Arms Locker Gun Forum
Go Back   Arms Locker > Arms Locker > Survival


Like Tree10Likes
  • 1 Post By BigBassMan
  • 1 Post By Garand
  • 1 Post By BigEd
  • 2 Post By BigEd
  • 1 Post By John in AR
  • 1 Post By John in AR
  • 1 Post By John in AR
  • 1 Post By Dorobuta
  • 1 Post By Terry G
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2020, 09:58 PM   #1
Registered User
 
Joined: Apr 2017
From: USA

Posts: 1,246
if they'd take the 12z12 tarp on Alone show

as 1/4 clear material and 3/4 reflective material, they could make a Kochanski supershelter in an hour, out of 100 sq ft of it and use the rest to make a fire"reflector" on the far side of the fire, drawing the smoke away from the shelter. It might even reflect back some of the heat, but I doubt it. If the shelter is 5 ft high and wide at one end, 7 ft long and 3x3 ft at the foot end, you can stand up in it, albeit hunched over, to doff or done clothing. The vertical, clear side of the lean to is 'aimed at the fire lay, which should be a Siberian Fire lay, which projects its heat all in one direction, twice as far as a normal fire will. It mostly burns the ends of the logs, which are laid up over a crosswise log (or foot-tall "wall" of logs between 4 stakes,with dirt to protect the wall) All you have to do is once every 1-2 hours, go move the logs forward a foot or so.

By night time, there's a big pile of coals up against the cross log, with flaming logs above them. This causes the coals to radiate a lot of heat thru the clear tarp, while the reflective material bounces the heat around inside of the shelter. If you're up on a raised wooden bed, with head sized hot rocks under the bed, covered with an inch thick layer of loose earth or ashes, debris on the the bed frame, and also in the 10x10 tarp, wrapped around you''ll be fine at 0F degrees, even without the sleeping bag, given all the warm clothing that they are allowed to take. There's plenty of tarp out of which to make a poncho, breechclout and leggings, using the tape. So there's lots of layers between which you can stuff dry debris, increasing the insulative value a lot.

An alternative Swedish torch is quick and easy to make. It ignites with just a featherstick. It works great for a quick boil and it swiftly ignites a siberian fire lay, a long log fire or the three-hole, gravity-fed Dakota fire pit. By using the latter to heat stones and making the supershelter and the igloo, they''ll save 50,000 calories and a month's work that they now waste on a 'winter" shelter (debris, which is full of holes and which many of them have set on fire) and on burning wood. The dumbasses "think" that they need a fire inside of their shelters, so they all get emphysema from the smoke. you can see daylight thru their shelters. So just the supershelter would be better and you can make it in an hour. :-) No need to cut the logs into shorter lengths, either, when you burn them outside, end first.

By the time it gets any colder, they'll have the 2 inches of snow needed to make an igloo. Then there's no more need of the outside fire, and maybe not even the hot rocks.at least, not if you're not sleeping. The foot thick, very insulative and reflective snow walls, the totally sealed nature of the igloo retains your body heat that well, if it's not too big. and you have the bed and debris to keep conductive heat loss at a bare minimum.

They get to take two wool sweaters, an outer shell, 6 pairs of wool socks, 2 sets of normal pants and shirts, and two sets of longjohns, a shemaugh, a winter hat, blah blah. and it's only below 0F for at most year. The 100 days is up on Dec 26. This year, they got to split 1 million $ if more than one made it to 100 days. Only one did so, and wound up getting it all. A girl got to 80 days and another one got to 90 days, which is a record, second longest stay by anyone except this years winner. She got frostbite on a toe and had to be medically pulled from the challenge.

Since I've been telling everyone to make a 5 qt skillet, cause the cookpot had a 2 qt size limit and the skillet had none, the producers have now put a 2 qt limit on the skillet as well. That makes it not worth taking. Make a stone/earth oven, dig a pit and line it with a tarp, line the tarp with (washed) gravel or sand and stone boil in it. Convert the E tool into an adze and use it to hollow out a log and stone boil in it. until you can spend a day finding clay and makin pottery and 100 baked clay balls for the slingbow.

Last edited by boati; 09-04-2020 at 10:14 PM.
 
Remove Ads
Old 09-05-2020, 09:24 AM   #2
Registered User
 Garand's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
From: Canadian Badlands

Posts: 9,392
Melvin, why haven't they chosen you to participate yet?
 
Old 09-05-2020, 12:07 PM   #3
Registered User
 
Joined: Jun 2015
From: North

Posts: 1,872
They would have to make it a comedy show if he was on it!
BigEd likes this.
 
 
Old 09-05-2020, 06:38 PM   #4
Registered User
 
Joined: Jul 2019

Posts: 952
They may require some proof of the abilities of the contestants up front?
 
Old 09-06-2020, 09:56 AM   #5
Registered User
 Garand's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
From: Canadian Badlands

Posts: 9,392
I'm sure Melvin could regale them of the time he busted of a half way house, took a bus to his buddies place and lived on tang and peanut butter in the basement until he tapped out by surrendering to a meter maid!
BigBassMan likes this.
 
Old 09-06-2020, 03:17 PM   #6
Registered User
 
Joined: Mar 2017
From: Arkansas

Posts: 534
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassMan View Post
They would have to make it a comedy show if he was on it!
Melvin's Island?
Garand likes this.
 
Old 09-20-2020, 08:01 PM   #7
Registered User
 
Joined: Apr 2017
From: USA

Posts: 1,246
it would cost them a fortune. After I made everyone else look like the campfire girls that they ARE, the viewers would demand a much better level of entrants. The show would last much longer, costing the producers a lot for the liability insurance and the rescue/medical crews.
 
Old 09-21-2020, 06:31 AM   #8
Registered User
 
Joined: May 2004
From: Central Arkansas

Posts: 5,586
Quote:
Originally Posted by boati View Post
it would cost them a fortune. After I made everyone else look like the campfire girls that they ARE, the viewers would demand a much better level of entrants. The show would last much longer, costing the producers a lot for the liability insurance and the rescue/medical crews.
Once again we hear this same tale:
 
Old 09-21-2020, 09:41 AM   #9
Registered User
 
Joined: Jul 2019

Posts: 952
I'm going to correct myself here and admit to being wrong-ish.

after googling the super shelter and seeing what it is, it is workable and an awesome set up. It just doesn't come across in Boati's posts what he is talking about.

This is where pictures would have been worthwhile, providing he actually ever built one.

reading about a thing and doing a thing are two very different things.

Last edited by Dorobuta; 09-23-2020 at 05:11 PM.
 
Old 09-21-2020, 09:55 AM   #10
Registered User
 
Joined: Mar 2017
From: Arkansas

Posts: 534
Well for once in his SHTFantatsy scenarios he does mention picking the sleeping bag. But otherwise..
Attached Thumbnails
if they'd take the 12z12 tarp on Alone show-fb_img_1600691778491.jpg  
Garand and Dorobuta like this.
 
Old 09-22-2020, 08:00 AM   #11
Registered User
 
Joined: May 2004
From: Central Arkansas

Posts: 5,586
Personally I don't think it's a lack of IQ, but more an overabundance of ego, to the point of baseless narcissism; letting ego-based emotion override reality-based logic.

Commonly found in teenagers and BLM rioters.
Garand likes this.

Last edited by John in AR; 09-22-2020 at 08:08 AM.
 
Old 09-22-2020, 08:24 AM   #12
Registered User
 Garand's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
From: Canadian Badlands

Posts: 9,392
Throughout the years, I have watched a number of these shows generated by National Geographic, etc that work on the theme of living off the grid. The one thing that is very plain, is that those that thrive in the 99 percentile are all younger than 60. While a very few people have lived off grid into their '80's, the vast majority of work they do at that age is simple maintenance.
 
Old 09-22-2020, 10:17 AM   #13
Registered User
 
Joined: May 2004
From: Central Arkansas

Posts: 5,586
So you're saying that a 68-year old with bad knees and a dependency on prescription drugs is probably not the ideal candidate? Surely you jest...


BTW, happy belated birthday, John. Fwiw, we're in the same generation - I have three siblings older than you and two younger than you - and I know that it would be a hardship at best to try and delete all the things that we've known our whole lives; things that have made possible the increased life expectancy compared to those who were forced to do the things you fantasize about doing. I can certainly survive without air conditioning, electric lights and indoor plumbing, but I have absolutely no desire to if there's any way I can avoid it.

My approach to preps is somewhat different than many. To me it's not all about going all 'Castaway' mentally; it's more about finding ways to do things or solve problems differently than we currently do now, in normal times. One 'prep' thing that was just delivered today is a UV-C element to add to the fresh-air intake in the storm cellar. The intake already has MERV-14 filtration (which traps 90% of things down to 1 micron, and ~80% of things down to 0.3 micron), carbon filtration to take out smells and chemicals, and this UV-C will now add the ability to not just trap but kill airborne microorganisms as well.
BigEd likes this.
 
Old 10-10-2020, 02:10 PM   #14
Registered User
 
Joined: Apr 2017
From: USA

Posts: 1,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorobuta View Post
I'm going to correct myself here and admit to being wrong-ish.

after googling the super shelter and seeing what it is, it is workable and an awesome set up. It just doesn't come across in Boati's posts what he is talking about.

This is where pictures would have been worthwhile, providing he actually ever built one.

reading about a thing and doing a thing are two very different things.
maybe for you they are. Simplistic crap like this is kid stuff. Anyone who can't see something this simple in their mind from just a description is just hopeless

It's just an effing double layered tarp lean too, with the vertical side being .clear, the bottom edges covered with dirt, debris between the layers. It insulates you very well. The igloo insulates you a lot better and people are stupid for not making one. I've had some twit like garand claim that I CANT add water to make powder snow into packable snow. Anyone who's ever made a snowball knows that's not true. Both shelters are so good that there's no need of outside heat, given a raised bed, a 2x2x2 ft cold air sink-pit just inside of the door, dry debris, all of the clothing that the are allowed to take, the poncho, the 10x10 tarp, even without the -30F sleeping bag. The supershelter handles 0F without heat, and the igloo can handle -40F without heat. Saves 3-4 weeks of wood processing/hauling and shelter building. You only need 3 cords of wood to last 100 days, when all you use it for is cooking and boiling your drinking water.

Anyone can make an igloo out of 2 inches of snow. Just pack it onto a pile of branches, covered with a tarp. Do 3 layers of snow, each 3-4" thick, sprinkling enough water on each to make a crust. Break thru the snow, remove the branches and the tarp, presto, igloo.

Pile all your food on the ice of the lake, once it's a foot thick. cover it with 4" of snow, pour enough water onto the snow to melt it a bit, let it freeze, repeat, until you get a solid ice layer. Repeat until the ice is a foot thick. Put a block of ice inside of a crawlspace made of ice. put the block on wooden rollers, with a pole down thru the crawlway, thru the block and into a hole in the lake ice. Put a 1" glaze of ice over the door way, to keep out mice. Access the food every 3 days. Hang your new supply from the inside top of the igloo. The igloo raises outside temps by 50F degrees, with just your body heat, if you build it right. , with the cold sink. Since your -30F bag will easily handle -10F, without lots fo clothing and debris, you'll be fine even if it's -40F outside. You dont realy need the sleeping bag, but it's good insurance ,in case you dont get enough snow.
 
Old 10-12-2020, 11:00 AM   #15
Registered User
 
Joined: May 2004
From: Central Arkansas

Posts: 5,586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorobuta View Post
...reading about a thing and doing a thing are two very different things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boati View Post
maybe for you they are...
I've read about people speaking Japanese, so now I can speak Japanese..?

I've read about making a billion dollars, so now I'm a billionaire..?

I've read about Chris Kyle, so now I'm a Special Forces sniper..?

The belief that reading about something is the equal of actually doing that thing is just silly.
Dorobuta likes this.
 
Old 10-12-2020, 12:05 PM   #16
Registered User
 
Joined: Jul 2019

Posts: 952
Quote:
Originally Posted by boati View Post
maybe for you they are. Simplistic crap like this is kid stuff. Anyone who can't see something this simple in their mind from just a description is just hopeless

It's just an effing double layered tarp lean too, with the vertical side being .clear, the bottom edges covered with dirt, debris between the layers. It insulates you very well. The igloo insulates you a lot better and people are stupid for not making one. I've had some twit like garand claim that I CANT add water to make powder snow into packable snow. Anyone who's ever made a snowball knows that's not true. Both shelters are so good that there's no need of outside heat, given a raised bed, a 2x2x2 ft cold air sink-pit just inside of the door, dry debris, all of the clothing that the are allowed to take, the poncho, the 10x10 tarp, even without the -30F sleeping bag. The supershelter handles 0F without heat, and the igloo can handle -40F without heat. Saves 3-4 weeks of wood processing/hauling and shelter building. You only need 3 cords of wood to last 100 days, when all you use it for is cooking and boiling your drinking water.

Anyone can make an igloo out of 2 inches of snow. Just pack it onto a pile of branches, covered with a tarp. Do 3 layers of snow, each 3-4" thick, sprinkling enough water on each to make a crust. Break thru the snow, remove the branches and the tarp, presto, igloo.

Pile all your food on the ice of the lake, once it's a foot thick. cover it with 4" of snow, pour enough water onto the snow to melt it a bit, let it freeze, repeat, until you get a solid ice layer. Repeat until the ice is a foot thick. Put a block of ice inside of a crawlspace made of ice. put the block on wooden rollers, with a pole down thru the crawlway, thru the block and into a hole in the lake ice. Put a 1" glaze of ice over the door way, to keep out mice. Access the food every 3 days. Hang your new supply from the inside top of the igloo. The igloo raises outside temps by 50F degrees, with just your body heat, if you build it right. , with the cold sink. Since your -30F bag will easily handle -10F, without lots fo clothing and debris, you'll be fine even if it's -40F outside. You dont realy need the sleeping bag, but it's good insurance ,in case you dont get enough snow.


well, with winter coming, you should be able to prove us all wrong by posting pictures of you doing these things. But you won't. Probably because you have never done any of these things and you really are incapable of doing these things.

others have posted pictures of their gear and things that they have accomplished.

you go on about how superior you are, yet are incapable of even providing basic evidence to support your position. I'm going to continue to be civil, but doubtful of any of your claims, in the absence of any evidence.
BigBassMan likes this.
 
Old 10-12-2020, 09:04 PM   #17
Registered User
 Terry G's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004

Posts: 5,111
Quote:
Originally Posted by boati View Post
maybe for you they are. Simplistic crap like this is kid stuff. Anyone who can't see something this simple in their mind from just a description is just hopeless

It's just an effing double layered tarp lean too, with the vertical side being .clear, the bottom edges covered with dirt, debris between the layers. It insulates you very well. The igloo insulates you a lot better and people are stupid for not making one. I've had some twit like garand claim that I CANT add water to make powder snow into packable snow. Anyone who's ever made a snowball knows that's not true. Both shelters are so good that there's no need of outside heat, given a raised bed, a 2x2x2 ft cold air sink-pit just inside of the door, dry debris, all of the clothing that the are allowed to take, the poncho, the 10x10 tarp, even without the -30F sleeping bag. The supershelter handles 0F without heat, and the igloo can handle -40F without heat. Saves 3-4 weeks of wood processing/hauling and shelter building. You only need 3 cords of wood to last 100 days, when all you use it for is cooking and boiling your drinking water.

Anyone can make an igloo out of 2 inches of snow. Just pack it onto a pile of branches, covered with a tarp. Do 3 layers of snow, each 3-4" thick, sprinkling enough water on each to make a crust. Break thru the snow, remove the branches and the tarp, presto, igloo.

Pile all your food on the ice of the lake, once it's a foot thick. cover it with 4" of snow, pour enough water onto the snow to melt it a bit, let it freeze, repeat, until you get a solid ice layer. Repeat until the ice is a foot thick. Put a block of ice inside of a crawlspace made of ice. put the block on wooden rollers, with a pole down thru the crawlway, thru the block and into a hole in the lake ice. Put a 1" glaze of ice over the door way, to keep out mice. Access the food every 3 days. Hang your new supply from the inside top of the igloo. The igloo raises outside temps by 50F degrees, with just your body heat, if you build it right. , with the cold sink. Since your -30F bag will easily handle -10F, without lots fo clothing and debris, you'll be fine even if it's -40F outside. You dont realy need the sleeping bag, but it's good insurance ,in case you dont get enough snow.
It's totally amazing how much you accomplish and never having to move from a keyboard. Post one piece of gear, or picture of a shelter that you have built. Post a picture of your air soft pistol. But no, you expect to be believed even after being caught in so many lies you yourself can't remember all of them. I quit reading about your make believe shelter's because I knew the work that it would take to actually build them was beyond your capacity. Your employment record is not great.
BigBassMan likes this.
 
Reply

  Arms Locker > Arms Locker > Survival


Thread Tools
Display Modes






Powered by vBulletin 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © 2003 - 2011 Arms Locker. All rights reserved.