switched to wiggy's nylon net longjohns - Arms Locker
Arms Locker Gun Forum
Go Back   Arms Locker > Arms Locker > Survival


Like Tree14Likes
  • 1 Post By Dorobuta
  • 1 Post By Dorobuta
  • 4 Post By Garand
  • 1 Post By Garand
  • 1 Post By BigBassMan
  • 2 Post By BigBassMan
  • 1 Post By Terry G
  • 1 Post By Dorobuta
  • 1 Post By Terry G
  • 1 Post By Garand
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2020, 04:16 AM   #1
Registered User
 
Joined: Apr 2017
From: USA

Posts: 658
switched to wiggy's nylon net longjohns

and can wear them day and night. Breathe much better, you see. $100. This and the inflating, twisting/tying of the two drum liners (inside of the day pack and the butt-pack, have let me drop the spare bugnet and the PEVA bag. It doesn't get cold enough here to require such stuff, saving me 3/4 lb and the sewing of 2 zippers, which is a considerable pita. Bulk of the bed roll is reduced, too, of course. Because of the inflated drum liners, and the PEVA strip alongside of the absorbent bag, the doubled foot wraps, the net longjohns, I can go to ground and be OK at 0F, using a Dakota pit to heat rocks or water. If I can't die, then get down in a gully, in a thicket, in a nest of boulders and use the alternative Swedish torch to heat water or rocks. This is at night, On a cloudy day, the small amount of smoke from a Dakota pit will not be noticable. and if the sun is out, the greenhouse effect of the PEVA strip and the Mylar bag will be enough to take it from -10F at dawn to 20F by noon, letting me sleep for 6 hours. That's enough. with this gear, I can handle -10F if I keep moving and it's never that cold here, at night. Daytime here, it almost always thaws out and always gets up to 20F Given sedatives, earplugs and a sleep mask, there's always the ability to get no more rest than is actually needed. Such cold never lasts more than a very few days at a time here and only about a 1 month period makes it a concern at all. Simplifies my kit (a lot). :-)
 
Remove Ads
Old 01-13-2020, 06:04 AM   #2
Registered User
 
Joined: Jul 2019

Posts: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by boati View Post
and can wear them day and night. Breathe much better, you see. $100. This and the inflating, twisting/tying of the two drum liners (inside of the day pack and the butt-pack, have let me drop the spare bugnet and the PEVA bag. It doesn't get cold enough here to require such stuff, saving me 3/4 lb and the sewing of 2 zippers, which is a considerable pita. Bulk of the bed roll is reduced, too, of course. Because of the inflated drum liners, and the PEVA strip alongside of the absorbent bag, the doubled foot wraps, the net longjohns, I can go to ground and be OK at 0F, using a Dakota pit to heat rocks or water. If I can't die, then get down in a gully, in a thicket, in a nest of boulders and use the alternative Swedish torch to heat water or rocks. This is at night, On a cloudy day, the small amount of smoke from a Dakota pit will not be noticable. and if the sun is out, the greenhouse effect of the PEVA strip and the Mylar bag will be enough to take it from -10F at dawn to 20F by noon, letting me sleep for 6 hours. That's enough. with this gear, I can handle -10F if I keep moving and it's never that cold here, at night. Daytime here, it almost always thaws out and always gets up to 20F Given sedatives, earplugs and a sleep mask, there's always the ability to get no more rest than is actually needed. Such cold never lasts more than a very few days at a time here and only about a 1 month period makes it a concern at all. Simplifies my kit (a lot). :-)
A lot of your posts have to do with combat and SHTF, and how if it isn't for combat, then it is a waste of time.

Why would you deliberately make yourself combat ineffective and vulnerable? This seems like the absolute worst idea ever from a survival point of view.

If you have good gear - like the wiggys, then you don't need all the other cobbled together stuff, and you certainly wouldn't need sedatives, ear plugs, or a mask.

this just screams - I'm going to die horribly.

and why are there a dozen or more threads of posts that should all be in the same single thread?
BigBassMan likes this.
 
Old 01-13-2020, 07:06 AM   #3
Registered User
 
Joined: Apr 2017
From: USA

Posts: 658
cause I want it that way, why else? the wiggys is the longjohns, not the sleeping bag, dip****. The longjohns help, but they aint protection from rain and wind. some of my stuff is for people whoaint got $100 to spend on specialized longjohns and how does any of this render me combat ineffective? the entire point is to be as lw and compact as possible, for that very reason I aint dumb enough to live where it gets really cold. It rarely gets to 20F here. and it almost always thaws during the day.
 
 
Old 01-13-2020, 07:13 AM   #4
Registered User
 
Joined: Jul 2019

Posts: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by boati View Post
cause I want it that way, why else? the wiggys is the longjohns, not the sleeping bag, dip****. The longjohns help, but they aint protection from rain and wind. some of my stuff is for people whoaint got $100 to spend on specialized longjohns and how does any of this render me combat ineffective? the entire point is to be as lw and compact as possible, for that very reason I aint dumb enough to live where it gets really cold. It rarely gets to 20F here. and it almost always thaws during the day.
Sedatives, ear plugs and a sleep mask do what? They don't make you more effective - do they? Explain how when you are drugged, blind, and deaf you are effective by any definition of the word?

I know what the long johns do, I was actually saying that was probably the best thing you've listed in your kit. Reading is fundamental.

If you want to hurl insults, go ahead. Doesn't make you appear to be credible.

why not post some pictures? maybe I just misunderstand what you are doing.
Personally, my life is worth spending whatever it takes to have quality gear.
 
Old 01-13-2020, 07:16 AM   #5
Registered User
 
Joined: Jul 2019

Posts: 370
I'm good to temperatures well below freezing, and don't require drugs, ear plugs, or a mask.

I sleep warmly and comfortably and my gear fits in my pack. Which is also why you want a good backpack, one with a good hip belt, and load lifters. It needs to be properly fitted to you to be effective. My current pack is a Mystery Ranch sawtooth 80. It is a tank, built to withstand a lot of abuse. There are youtube videos of guys deliberately trying to break backpacks. The MR Sawtooth fared the best.

I've lived out of my backpack for weeks at a time. I know about light weight gear and smart weight gear. Light weight is a good goal, but it isn't the only goal. Right weight is far more important. Heavy enough to work, light enough to carry. If you're so light weight you need drugs to sleep, then you start out by failing. That's my opinion, but I will bet it would be shared by 99.99% of people who actually spend time in the woods.

Do what works for you, but don't be surprised when people point out things that appear to be not totally thought out, or when people point out things you might want to consider. That's why these are forums. Multiple people can present ideas. That's how people learn - it's a give and take process.
Garand likes this.

Last edited by Dorobuta; 01-13-2020 at 07:25 AM.
 
Old 01-13-2020, 07:27 AM   #6
Registered User
 Garand's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
From: Canadian Badlands

Posts: 8,797
Melvin, why are you going to build a fire if you are going to possibly be in a tactical situation? Do you want to tell everyone where you are? Do you want marauders to walk into your camp while your asleep because your too stoned to hear them? Melvin when you were in the army, were you ever in a situation where your hide got bumped by bad guys at "O Dark 30"? Do you realize how quickly you have to be ready to defend yourself when that happens? Whens the last time you engaged a target while wearing a sleeping mask? Did you hit anything?
Terry G, BigBassMan, BigEd and 1 others like this.
 
Old 01-13-2020, 08:07 AM   #7
Registered User
 Garand's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
From: Canadian Badlands

Posts: 8,797


Melvin, watch the first 60 seconds of this you tube video. Then imagine yourself doped up, wearing ear plugs and wearing a sleep mask.
Dorobuta likes this.
 
Old 01-13-2020, 08:46 AM   #8
Registered User
 
Joined: Jun 2015
From: North

Posts: 1,594
doped up, sleep mask, ear plugs, that is Melvin's way of ignoring the rest of the world.
Dorobuta likes this.
 
Old 01-13-2020, 08:54 AM   #9
Registered User
 
Joined: Jun 2015
From: North

Posts: 1,594
Have to remember that Mel's target audience is a 12 year old tactical timmie the mall ninja.
Terry G and Dorobuta like this.
 
Old 01-13-2020, 08:57 AM   #10
Registered User
 Garand's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
From: Canadian Badlands

Posts: 8,797
ROFLMAO!!!
 
Old 01-13-2020, 10:25 AM   #11
Registered User
 Terry G's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004

Posts: 4,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorobuta View Post
Sedatives, ear plugs and a sleep mask do what? They don't make you more effective - do they? Explain how when you are drugged, blind, and deaf you are effective by any definition of the word?

I know what the long johns do, I was actually saying that was probably the best thing you've listed in your kit. Reading is fundamental.

If you want to hurl insults, go ahead. Doesn't make you appear to be credible.

why not post some pictures? maybe I just misunderstand what you are doing.
Personally, my life is worth spending whatever it takes to have quality gear.
Insult's are Melvin's way of responding to common sense. Lies are his way of coping with being a total failure at anything, including drug dealing. Don't dare speak of reality, in Melvin's world only fantasy matter's. Ear pugs, face mask, and downer's in a combat situation? Sleep indeed, Melvin, while someone bayonet's you cobbled up sleeping gear.
BigBassMan likes this.
 
Old 01-13-2020, 11:25 AM   #12
Registered User
 
Joined: Jul 2019

Posts: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry G View Post
Insult's are Melvin's way of responding to common sense. Lies are his way of coping with being a total failure at anything, including drug dealing. Don't dare speak of reality, in Melvin's world only fantasy matter's. Ear pugs, face mask, and downer's in a combat situation? Sleep indeed, Melvin, while someone bayonet's you cobbled up sleeping gear.
I just picture him waking up on fire...
BigBassMan likes this.
 
Old 01-13-2020, 02:22 PM   #13
Registered User
 
Joined: Jun 2015
From: North

Posts: 1,594
That is one fire that nobody would put out, be laughing too hard!
 
Old 01-13-2020, 03:00 PM   #14
Registered User
 
Joined: Jul 2019

Posts: 370
Or not waking and dying of hyperthermia in his sleep.

There is no survival scenario I can think of where sedatives, ear plugs, and a sleep mask is a good idea. Not one.
 
Old 01-14-2020, 11:04 AM   #15
Registered User
 
Joined: May 2004
From: Central Arkansas

Posts: 5,103
I can think of only one:


But considering where it ended up, I still think I'll pass.
 
Old 01-14-2020, 11:58 AM   #16
Registered User
 Garand's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
From: Canadian Badlands

Posts: 8,797
Melvin, just a thought from my EXPERIENCE as a young infanteer; when we went to Alaska in February, we lived in a 10 man arctic tent. We used a Coleman 2 burner and a Coleman single burner to get the temperature up to about +20F inside the tent. At night we always had rotating duty for "stove watch", just to ensure we didn't burn to death. Something you haven't considered, have you Melvin? Just like sentries while you sleep.
 
Old 01-14-2020, 12:49 PM   #17
Registered User
 
Joined: Jun 2015
From: North

Posts: 1,594
Another thought, how would you like to have to depend on Mel as a sentry!
 
Old 01-14-2020, 01:01 PM   #18
Registered User
 Terry G's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004

Posts: 4,937
I shudder to think I was in the same Army as him. Thank Heaven not in the same country.
BigEd likes this.
 
Old 01-14-2020, 01:02 PM   #19
Registered User
 Garand's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
From: Canadian Badlands

Posts: 8,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassMan View Post
Another thought, how would you like to have to depend on Mel as a sentry!

Back to my younger years as an infanteer, I was in Cyprus on UN Peacekeeping duty manning a listening post on the demarcation line (known as the Green Line) one evening when I got a call from the local Turkish platoon commander. A very short phone call, he informed me to not worry about any shots fired in the sector in the next 5 minutes. A couple of minutes later I heard a single pistol shot. Apparently one of his men fell asleep on sentry. That's what happens in the real world Melvin.
BigEd likes this.
 
Reply

  Arms Locker > Arms Locker > Survival


Thread Tools
Display Modes






Powered by vBulletin 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © 2003 - 2011 Arms Locker. All rights reserved.