Bob claimed unaltered factory accuracy - Arms Locker
Arms Locker Gun Forum
Go Back   Arms Locker > Gun Forums > Handguns


Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By John in AR
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2019, 02:52 PM   #1
Registered User
 
Joined: Apr 2017
From: USA

Posts: 584
Bob claimed unaltered factory accuracy

which, depending upon the ammo used, means 1.5" groups at 50 yds . Only $8000 or so.




https://www.rockislandauction.com/de...1-pistol-22-lr
 
Remove Ads
Old 10-29-2019, 02:54 PM   #2
Registered User
 
Joined: Apr 2017
From: USA

Posts: 584
The silenced M21trail pistol, with luminous sights, SA-only, speed safety, Pt22 1 rd increase in mag capacity and a bit longer grip. has only about 1/3rd that much accuracy, but it's silenced in nearly the same size, and considerably less weight. You can have one for $3000.
 
Old 10-29-2019, 03:39 PM   #3
Registered User
 Terry G's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004

Posts: 4,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by boati View Post
The silenced M21trail pistol, with luminous sights, SA-only, speed safety, Pt22 1 rd increase in mag capacity and a bit longer grip. has only about 1/3rd that much accuracy, but it's silenced in nearly the same size, and considerably less weight. You can have one for $3000.
This is confusing. Your pitting an M21 suppressed mini-22 against a M41 Target pistol as far as accuracy then say it's only 1/3rd as accurate. Their not even in the same class of firearm and what does a Taurus PT22 have to do with either?
 
 
Old 10-30-2019, 05:44 AM   #4
Registered User
 
Joined: May 2004
From: Central Arkansas

Posts: 5,002
The PT22 reference is due to wanting to use the Taurus magazine in the Beretta gun, since the Taurus holds one more round. I like added capacity as much as anyone, but it would take a lot of work since the magazine releases on the guns (and the release cutouts on the magazines themselves) are in very different locations.

Beretta:


Taurus:


It would indeed give a slightly longer grip if you managed to do the conversion, but I don't personally see a huge advantage. The bigger grip would not only decrease concealability, but is certainly not necessary for control on a rimfire putting out ~55-60 ft/lbs of energy, especially with the added dampening weight of a suppressor hanging off the front. To each his own, but a lot of work for one more round that's 1/3 the power of a .380 pocket pistol.
 
Old 10-30-2019, 08:01 AM   #5
Registered User
 Terry G's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004

Posts: 4,896
Thanks for interpreting. But what does the $8000.00 M41 have to do with it?
 
Old 10-30-2019, 08:47 AM   #6
Registered User
 
Joined: May 2004
From: Central Arkansas

Posts: 5,002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry G View Post
...But what does the $8000.00 M41 have to do with it?
Nothing at all. But you have to understand the speaker...

Since the M21 is his favorite 22 handgun, it's obviously better than any other 22 handgun, and is to be compared to every other 22 handgun; regardless of accuracy, regardless of how much cobbling up you have to do to it to achieve the +1 extended rimfire capacity, etc.

Basically, "the beretta 21 is the only 22 handgun that makes sense, so it might as well be the only one that exists and therefore the better accuracy and increased power of __(fill in the blank)__ gun is irrelevant".

As someone who's owned numerous 22 handguns since the 1970's and has had a Beretta 21 since 1986 or so, I know better; but firsthand knowledge is irrelevent when pontifications are at stake.
BigBassMan likes this.
 
Old 10-30-2019, 02:17 PM   #7
Registered User
 Garand's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
From: Canadian Badlands

Posts: 8,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in AR View Post
Nothing at all. But you have to understand the speaker...

Since the M21 is his favorite 22 handgun, it's obviously better than any other 22 handgun, and is to be compared to every other 22 handgun; regardless of accuracy, regardless of how much cobbling up you have to do to it to achieve the +1 extended rimfire capacity, etc.

Basically, "the beretta 21 is the only 22 handgun that makes sense, so it might as well be the only one that exists and therefore the better accuracy and increased power of __(fill in the blank)__ gun is irrelevant".

As someone who's owned numerous 22 handguns since the 1970's and has had a Beretta 21 since 1986 or so, I know better; but firsthand knowledge is irrelevent when pontifications are at stake.
 
Old 10-30-2019, 03:59 PM   #8
Registered User
 Terry G's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004

Posts: 4,896
Didn't we go down this road not long ago? I have a PT22 I bought for my Wife and decided it was a NO GO as a self defense gun. Of course because Melvin say's so, it's a superior firearm when tricked out with a home made suppressor and a 1 round extended cobbled up magazine. Where did the $3,000.00 figure come from? Is Gander Outdoors or Cabela's having a sale on Beretta M21's? I've been looking all over for a $8,000.00 .22 for plinking.
 
Old 10-31-2019, 07:26 AM   #9
Registered User
 Garand's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
From: Canadian Badlands

Posts: 8,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry G View Post
I've been looking all over for a $8,000.00 .22 for plinking.

 
Old 10-31-2019, 08:06 AM   #10
Registered User
 
Joined: May 2004
From: Central Arkansas

Posts: 5,002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry G View Post
...I've been looking all over for a $8,000.00 .22 for plinking.
That's that Bob Loveless custom gun being auctioned in the opening post. It's a neat conversion, being substantially shorter and made to have an exposed hammer. But odds are (like most top-end custom guns) it'll end up in someone's safe or wall display and not get much, if any, use. Sad, but that's what seems to happen.

Plus, the fact that that same money would probably buy four or five of pretty much any other 22 pistol and a lifetime supply of ammo... More power to anyone who wants to buy one of those, but I suspect nobody in my neighborhood is going to.
 
Reply

  Arms Locker > Gun Forums > Handguns


Thread Tools
Display Modes






Powered by vBulletin 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © 2003 - 2011 Arms Locker. All rights reserved.