LEOSA June 4, 2019 - Arms Locker
Arms Locker Gun Forum
Go Back   Arms Locker > Gun Forums > Handguns


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2019, 03:28 PM   #1
Registered User
 Terry G's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004

Posts: 4,933
LEOSA June 4, 2019

They changed up the qualification course to more one handed and weak hand shooting, more 15 yard barricade shooting, and to four shots instead if five on the 25 yard, but all 25 yard shots must score. Of the shooter's qualifying (9) all used 9MM except me. No .40's present at all. I remarked on this to the Range Master and he said the .40's were definitely on the way out in Law Enforcement in his opinion. .45's were still around and used by off duty and LEOSA carriers but 9's were by far the most popular.
 
Remove Ads
Old 06-18-2019, 07:38 PM   #2
Registered User
 Garand's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
From: Canadian Badlands

Posts: 8,797
For most police department budgets I can imagine that 9mm being cheaper makes the bean counters happy.
 
Old 06-19-2019, 05:15 AM   #3
Registered User
 
Joined: May 2004
From: Central Arkansas

Posts: 5,094
Is it a leosa-specific course? From when I originally read the law, I thought it just had to be an LE qualification course, not a specific leosa one.
 
 
Old 06-19-2019, 09:21 AM   #4
Registered User
 Terry G's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004

Posts: 4,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in AR View Post
Is it a leosa-specific course? From when I originally read the law, I thought it just had to be an LE qualification course, not a specific leosa one.
Your correct John. It's not LEOSA specific. They hold four LE courses annually for active and retired LEO's. It enables us retired guy's to brag if we outshoot the younger LEO's or make excuses if we don't.
 
Old 06-19-2019, 11:56 AM   #5
Registered User
 
Joined: May 2004
From: Central Arkansas

Posts: 5,094
Thanks. I thought that was the case, and hoped so. We're in a rural area and the sheriff has offered to do it for me, but I never pursued it previously.

My mother-in-law was recently widowed and my wife and I have been kicking around the idea of renting a motor home for a month or whatever & driving her around the country some, so she could visit some distant relatives & friends. If we do that, the LEOSA thing would be good to have imo.

I just a couple days ago dug out my old ID's to make sure I still had them. AFAIK, one of those plus a certification of passing the local LE qual course should be all it takes, so I figured I'd go ahead & do it.

I know what you mean about the young guys - I saw them running a batch of new guys & gals last year and the shooting was all over the place skill-wise. A couple quite good, some mediocre, and one pretty dismal.
 
Old 06-19-2019, 06:09 PM   #6
Registered User
 Terry G's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004

Posts: 4,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in AR View Post
Thanks. I thought that was the case, and hoped so. We're in a rural area and the sheriff has offered to do it for me, but I never pursued it previously.

My mother-in-law was recently widowed and my wife and I have been kicking around the idea of renting a motor home for a month or whatever & driving her around the country some, so she could visit some distant relatives & friends. If we do that, the LEOSA thing would be good to have imo.

I just a couple days ago dug out my old ID's to make sure I still had them. AFAIK, one of those plus a certification of passing the local LE qual course should be all it takes, so I figured I'd go ahead & do it.

I know what you mean about the young guys - I saw them running a batch of new guys & gals last year and the shooting was all over the place skill-wise. A couple quite good, some mediocre, and one pretty dismal.
The LEOSA qualification card and retired ID is all you need. I only have shown mine twice, once for an accident and once when I was stopped for speeding (I was). I just showed my retired LE ID, neither LEO asked for the qualification card.
 
Old 06-21-2019, 03:02 AM   #7
Registered User
 
Joined: Mar 2006
From: Northern NJ

Posts: 994
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in AR View Post
Is it a leosa-specific course? From when I originally read the law, I thought it just had to be an LE qualification course, not a specific leosa one.
Usually it's whatever the Standard course is for either where you Retired from, or where you're Qualifying. NJ was cute for years by having the Retired Officer Carry permit (They didn't recognize LEOSA for their own officers) Course less than than required as the Duty Course, so that guys who didn't know better wouldn't be able to carry under LEOSA legally.
 
Old 06-21-2019, 05:12 AM   #8
Registered User
 
Joined: May 2004
From: Central Arkansas

Posts: 5,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry G View Post
The LEOSA qualification card and retired ID is all you need...
Thanks. Technically I'm not retired, but do have the required greater than ten years service (between two different depts), so still qualify.
 
Old 07-23-2019, 08:04 AM   #9
Registered User
 
Joined: May 2004
From: Central Arkansas

Posts: 5,094
Finished my LEOSA paperwork last week. Good to go in all 50 states now; just need to re-read where it is and isn't applicable.
 
Old 07-23-2019, 10:02 AM   #10
Registered User
 Terry G's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004

Posts: 4,933
Good for you. What was your course like? The Fraternal Order of Police Lodge I belong to has starting hosting the LE course free of charge. I will be shooting it four times a year now. It helps to keep sharp and it's good to see who's shooting what and if I can learn anything. What did you qualify with?
 
Old 07-23-2019, 10:19 AM   #11
Registered User
 
Joined: May 2004
From: Central Arkansas

Posts: 5,094
Gun was a Smith M&P 9mm with ball ammo; nothing exotic. I considered using the glock I used to carry on duty, but the M&P was handy (it's my desk gun at work), so I just grabbed it instead. The course was different from the old dept courses I went thru in the past, but that was admittedly quite a while ago. This ran from 2 yards to only 15 yards; no 25 yard at all.

Probably 70% two-handed and 30% one-handed shooting evenly split between right & left. I'm fortunate in that while I generally shoot right-handed, I'm actually a lefty, so that probably gives me somewhat of an advantage. IIRC all the one-handed stuff was probably 10 yards and in.

Not a demanding course of fire at all, but they generally aren't. The time limits were ridiculously long - he quit using the timer pretty shortly into it.


{edit - checked the card which shows the course of fire cited, and found the template online. It's CLEST 2019-1000, here: https://www.clest.org/Websites/clest...lification.pdf

He did mix it up a little more than their template/model, with a little more one-handed stuff back at 15 yards}

Last edited by John in AR; 07-23-2019 at 10:31 AM.
 
Old 07-23-2019, 10:45 AM   #12
Registered User
 Terry G's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004

Posts: 4,933
The course is somewhat different from Wisconsin, but not by much. No firing past 15 yards is the main difference. Does your card carry the weapon you qualified with? Ours used to, although you could carry whatever you wanted to. Now it just day's "handgun ".
 
Old 07-23-2019, 11:58 AM   #13
Registered User
 
Joined: May 2004
From: Central Arkansas

Posts: 5,094
Same here, just "Handgun", which I'm glad of. Not stuck with one particular model, type, or even specific gun if I don't want.
 
Old 09-09-2019, 09:25 PM   #14
Registered User
 
Joined: Dec 2017
From: River Edge

Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpdpipes View Post
Usually it's whatever the Standard course is for either where you Retired from, or where you're Qualifying. NJ was cute for years by having the Retired Officer Carry permit (They didn't recognize LEOSA for their own officers) Course less than than required as the Duty Course, so that guys who didn't know better wouldn't be able to carry under LEOSA legally.


Well NJ was just trying to take more money from retired cops. What they didnít realize is HR 218 or LEOSA has been outlined by the US Attorney General to get rid of any grey areas of the law. It now says that any active or retired law enforcement can carry in any state in the US as long as they Maintain there states qualification course and carry the results with there active or retired ID.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Old 09-10-2019, 03:36 AM   #15
Registered User
 
Joined: Apr 2017
From: USA

Posts: 655
blow off the beyond 10m stuff, maybe a couple of 10m head shots, if they want to kid themselves, but most of it at 5m and less, on movers, while moving, in the dark. Lots of man vs man airsoft, wearing padded suits, at contact distance, using marker knives and clubs.
 
Old 09-10-2019, 03:34 PM   #16
Registered User
 Garand's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
From: Canadian Badlands

Posts: 8,797
I sincerely have a hard time believing that "airsoft" as your only shooting activity is going to save your butt on a real world 2 way range. Melvin you need to practice with real firearms also.
 
Old 09-10-2019, 04:56 PM   #17
Registered User
 Terry G's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004

Posts: 4,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by boati View Post
blow off the beyond 10m stuff, maybe a couple of 10m head shots, if they want to kid themselves, but most of it at 5m and less, on movers, while moving, in the dark. Lots of man vs man airsoft, wearing padded suits, at contact distance, using marker knives and clubs.
And airsoft has to do with LEOSA how? At least stay with the subject.
 
Old 09-13-2019, 02:54 AM   #18
Registered User
 
Joined: Mar 2006
From: Northern NJ

Posts: 994
Quote:
Originally Posted by elongobardi View Post
Well NJ was just trying to take more money from retired cops. What they didnít realize is HR 218 or LEOSA has been outlined by the US Attorney General to get rid of any grey areas of the law. It now says that any active or retired law enforcement can carry in any state in the US as long as they Maintain there states qualification course and carry the results with there active or retired ID.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's been a Huge ****show and Oh Yeah they Realize it, they just Ignore it, the State's answer to everything is, "**** it, fight us in Court". the Sad thing is the last AG when Christie was Governor rescinded the Carry permits for Retirees provision, unless you were working as Armed Security. Pretty much the first thing that Grewal did once HE was Appointed AG was to reverse that, leaving a bunch of guys swinging in the wind because, they hadn't renewed their RPO permits.
 
Reply

  Arms Locker > Gun Forums > Handguns


Thread Tools
Display Modes






Powered by vBulletin 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © 2003 - 2011 Arms Locker. All rights reserved.