|11-12-2020, 03:37 PM||#1|
Joined: Jun 2004
From: Canadian Badlands
Just another Wednesday at the range
My wife and I hit the indoor range this morning with a close friend. My wife wanted an easy day so she got her Kimber Rimfire Target Model and put about 200 rds of CCI Stinger & CCI Mini Mag down range. Myself, earlier this week I built 150 rds of .30 carbine using 3 different propellants. 50 rds w/ Unique, 50 rds with 2400 and 50 rds using IMR 4227.
Because of the limited amount of space on the indoor range and since this was the first time I shot cast out of a .30 carbine, my expectations weren't large, I'll be able to get into more detail in the spring. So my objectives were 3x3 rd groups at 15 yds and just a general performance at 25 yds ensuring that the functioned through my 8 magazines.
The rds filled with Unique were really disappointing, basically I fired 50 rds through a single shot rifle. Enough juice to fire and extract, but not enough to cycle a new rd. The rds with 2400 functioned flawlessly, with a disappointing 3 rd group and it turned out that about 6-8 % of the rds on the 25 yd target keyholed. The rds I built with IMR 4227 fit the bill, not bad groups at 15 yds, fed flawlessly through all magazines and when I pulled up the target at 25 yds there were a couple of ragged hole groups. The rds built with IMR4227 look like they have got the potential for competition ammo. Looks like I have a good starting point for next summer.
PS: Just realized its Thursday, yesterday was Remembrance Day up here so that screwed the flow of the week.
Last edited by Garand; 11-12-2020 at 04:02 PM.
| || |