AR-15 For Home Defense - Arms Locker
Arms Locker Gun Forum
Go Back   Arms Locker > Arms Locker > Gun Talk


Like Tree10Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2020, 06:19 AM   #1
Registered User
 
Joined: Oct 2020

Posts: 1
AR-15 For Home Defense

There are several factors why you should try the AR-15 for home defense. Firstly, you need to understand that this gun can be customized to any extent. You can use it to take down multiple targets. Since the weapon has a 20-30 round magazine capacity, you need not worry at all. The main thing is that this firearm is lightweight and highly versatile. When you look into several weapons, you can conclude that the AR-15 is easy to use. It is a fine gun that is suited for beginners. People shoot better with a carbine. If you ever donít believe his, you have to go to the shooting range and try it out. But it is essential to customize ar15 and get better results of it. Lower recoil is what makes you use the gun again and again. Another important factor is its sufficient accuracy.
 
Remove Ads
Old 10-10-2020, 07:15 AM   #2
Registered User
 
Joined: Apr 2017
From: USA

Posts: 716
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston Russel View Post
There are several factors why you should try the AR-15 for home defense. Firstly, you need to understand that this gun can be customized to any extent. You can use it to take down multiple targets. Since the weapon has a 20-30 round magazine capacity, you need not worry at all. The main thing is that this firearm is lightweight and highly versatile. When you look into several weapons, you can conclude that the AR-15 is easy to use. It is a fine gun that is suited for beginners. People shoot better with a carbine. If you ever don’t believe this, you have to go to the shooting range and try it out. But it is essential to customize ar15 and get better results of it. Lower recoil is what makes you use the gun again and again. Another important factor is its sufficient accuracy.
better have a suppressor on it, or ear-valve type earplugs, or electron muffs on YOU. The. 223's blast, indoors, is a thrilling thing to experience. Best have a light on it, too. Any carbine has 10x the accuracy needed for home defense. The most accuracy you could need is to be able to hit a cover-user's head at 30 ft. The problem with ANY long arm for home defense is having it in your hands, fast enough. It's many times more likely that you WONT have it than it is for the pistol to NOT be 'enough gun". When they see your pistol, home invaders flee. You don't get to carry the long arm when you are away from home, so you need the pistol and skill with it, anyway. I think that the rifle belongs in the vehicle, locked up and very well hidden.

There are tons of examples of the pistol making them flee, without any shots or at least, without any HITS, on Youtube and in the NRA mag's "armed citizen" column. A suppressed shorty AR in 223, with 60 gr soft points and a.22lr conversion unit for practice, (really close, really fast, multiple targets, in the dark) is a fine overall choice of fighting gun , but in reality, it's more for shtf movement, outside of buildings, dealing with people at much greater ranges. It can't replace the pistol for normal times defense. The pistol, of course, is nearly worthless once the long arms come out and get carried everywhere. The shotgun is not worth a hoot for either need.

Last edited by boati; 10-26-2020 at 01:48 PM.
 
Old 10-10-2020, 07:39 AM   #3
Registered User
 Garand's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
From: Canadian Badlands

Posts: 8,858
On May 01, in Canada it became a banned firearm, currently undergoing numerous court challenges that will lead to our Supreme Court. Time to think out of the box, and look at alternatives.
 
 
Old 10-10-2020, 09:17 AM   #4
Registered User
 Terry G's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004

Posts: 4,988
Quote:
Originally Posted by boati View Post
better have a suppressor on it, or ear-valve type earplugs, or electron muffs on YOU. The. 223's blast, indoors, is a thrilling thing to experience. Best have a light on it, too. Any carbine has 10x the accuracy needed for home defense. The most accuracy you could need is to be able to hit a cover-user's head at 30 ft. The problem with ANY long arm for home defense is having it in your hands, fast enough. It's many times more likely that you WONT have it than it is for the pistol to NOT be 'enough gun". When they see your pistol, home invaders flee. You don't get to carry the long arm when you There are tons of examples of this on Youtube and in the NRA mag's "armed citizen" column. A suppressed shorty AR in 223, with 60 gr soft points and a.22lr conversion unit for practice, (really close, really fast, multiple targets, in the dark) is a fine overall choice of longer, , but in reality, it's more for shtf movement, outside of buildings, dealing with people at much greater ranges. It can't replace the pistol for normal times defense. The pistol, of course, is nearly worthless once the long arms come out and get carried everywhere. The shotgun is not worth a hoot for either need.
If your using a AR-15 for home defense why would you put a .22 kit on it? just buy a Ruger 10/22. A shotgun is a very good weapon for home defense but of course loud and the recoils is too much for some.
BigEd likes this.
 
Old 10-10-2020, 01:12 PM   #5
Registered User
 
Joined: Apr 2017
From: USA

Posts: 716
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry G View Post
If your using a AR-15 for home defense why would you put a .22 kit on it? just buy a Ruger 10/22. A shotgun is a very good weapon for home defense but of course loud and the recoils is too much for some.
what a ****ing moron. So you can PRACTICE, dip****. The shotgun acomplishes nothing that the silenced AR or pistol dont do better and its handling is completely different, so why screw up your training, hmm? no reason. The pattern spread isn't wide enough to help anything. It's 6" wide at 20 ft, so you still have to aim it like a rifle. It wont pierce concealed armor and that's becoming commonplace. The shotgun is worthless for ccw or outdoor stuff, so why waste time and money on it? There's no reason, other than your trying to make up for lack of skill with a pattern spread. Wanting a shotgun is the mark of the inferior gun handler.

the 1022 doesn't handle like any fighting arm. The .22 unit in the AR, with the flashhider on it, handles EXACTLY like the 223 AR with the silencer on it. Sights, trigger, feel, safety, mag button, all exactly the same. Dummies like you never learn.

Last edited by boati; 10-10-2020 at 01:16 PM.
 
Old 10-10-2020, 03:55 PM   #6
Registered User
 Terry G's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004

Posts: 4,988
If you weren't so afraid of noise and recoil you could handle a full size rifle cartridge and a shotgun. "You gotta have a suppressor, you gotta have ear plugs, you gotta have a .22 unit." Jeez Melvin, man up! The OP was stating his thoughts on he AR-15. He wasn't asking for your wimpy opinion on noise and recoil reduction. Shotguns are found in many homes for defense. Women use them with no trouble. An AR-15 with a .22 unit handles differently than an AR with .223 right? So why train with it? HMMM?
 
Old 10-11-2020, 12:07 AM   #7
Registered User
 Garand's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
From: Canadian Badlands

Posts: 8,858
Actually a .22 conversion kit with an AR is very practical. For about 7-8 years a gentleman about 2 hours south of me used to put on 2-3 3 gun match weekends a year. A buddy and myself would shoot on Saturday with our 1911's & AR's in centerfire caliber, then shoot again on Sunday with conversion kits installed and using the same belt kit. Also when running a "dog & pony" show for non shooters it is a lot cheaper on ammo, especially when the participants think you do this for free.
gripper and BigEd like this.
 
Old 10-11-2020, 10:00 AM   #8
Registered User
 Terry G's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004

Posts: 4,988
I know the .22 kit's are practical for training, I use the AA kit and CZ Kadet Kit on my G21 and CZ 75. I just had to stick a pin into Melvin's know it all advice. His fear of noise and recoil are somewhat strange for someone who claims to be a World Class shooter after 45 years of not shooting.
BigEd likes this.
 
Old 10-12-2020, 07:02 AM   #9
Registered User
 
Joined: Oct 2003
From: nashua nh

Posts: 2,674
To be honest I, have no issue with the 5.56 AR/M4gery in home defense trim(or utilitarian,out and about defense/vehicle/carry WTSHTF etc).. but as others here have noted,it's not precisely quiet. There's a few ways to mitigate the ear blasting fun and games though.
There's a few non NFA muzzle devices that direct the blast,noise and flash downrange. TOWARDS those on the receiving end. This is particularly useful if you run it as a pistol length barrel,and probably a better solution than subsonic loadings in 5.56.
Then there's the.300 BLK. I kinda hoped there'd be better supersonic loadings for Carbine and rifle length barrels, but short barrel efficiency-both in supersonic and subsonic loadings-is where it seems to shine. Something to consider for those who already have compatible AR lowers and don't mind trying to get another caliber to stock.. still, with the Scamdemic/Rioting Fear driven ammo shortage, you may want to" run what you brung" OR watching consider those subcaliber conversion options BOATI and a few others here have mentioned, after assuring reliability...rimfire .22, Pistol caliber conversions (assuming that you plan on using the same caliber and magazines as your Pistols). A lot of this is dependant on whatever you already have/can get now/may be able to get, because between scarcity and gouging;the time to buy cheap and stack deep has passed. Now you have to balance whatever works reliably,is SOMEWHAT available and may have utility of purpose.
BigEd likes this.
 
Old 10-12-2020, 07:03 AM   #10
Registered User
 Garand's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
From: Canadian Badlands

Posts: 8,858
You gotta remember that Melvin lives inside the box within his fantasy world. When "the balloon goes up", everything will go exactly the way he predicts.
BigEd likes this.
 
Old 10-26-2020, 01:50 PM   #11
Registered User
 
Joined: Apr 2017
From: USA

Posts: 716
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry G View Post
If you weren't so afraid of noise and recoil you could handle a full size rifle cartridge and a shotgun. "You gotta have a suppressor, you gotta have ear plugs, you gotta have a .22 unit." Jeez Melvin, man up! The OP was stating his thoughts on he AR-15. He wasn't asking for your wimpy opinion on noise and recoil reduction. Shotguns are found in many homes for defense. Women use them with no trouble. An AR-15 with a .22 unit handles differently than an AR with .223 right? So why train with it? HMMM?
**** you, punk. If you want to be deafened and flinch a lot, go right ahead. I bet you've never even ONCE fired a 223 carbine in a small room or tight corridor. no, the 22 unit, with the big, heavy flashhider, does NOT handle differently than the silenced 223. That's the point, stupid. Men with 100x your knoweledge experience agree that the .22 unit training IS transferable to 223 skill, even without the suppressor on the 223. men like Jerry Miculek, Jame Yeager and Reid Hendrichs.

Last edited by boati; 10-26-2020 at 01:54 PM.
 
Old 10-26-2020, 01:59 PM   #12
Registered User
 
Joined: Apr 2017
From: USA

Posts: 716
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garand View Post
You gotta remember that Melvin lives inside the box within his fantasy world. When "the balloon goes up", everything will go exactly the way he predicts.
**** you, too, punk. YOU are the one who thinks it will go exactly as planned. I am the one who remains mobile. The mobile guy can always hole up, but the bug in lardasses can't bugout. My set up is many times more versatile than anything you can dream up and I shot a LOT in Colorado for 6 years, When you're as good as I am, and dont mess around with different action types, and use a suppressor for the rifle, you dont need all that much practice to stay top notch. I have not had to practice from the strong side shoulder in many years. It is so easy that I just stay better than 99% of people. So I just worked on the weak side shoulder when I used the rifle.
 
Old 10-27-2020, 01:07 AM   #13
Registered User
 Garand's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
From: Canadian Badlands

Posts: 8,858
Melvin, the difference in our 2 plans, is only one of us considers reality.
BigEd likes this.
 
Old 10-27-2020, 10:34 AM   #14
Registered User
 Terry G's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004

Posts: 4,988
Quote:
Originally Posted by boati View Post
**** you, punk. If you want to be deafened and flinch a lot, go right ahead. I bet you've never even ONCE fired a 223 carbine in a small room or tight corridor. no, the 22 unit, with the big, heavy flashhider, does NOT handle differently than the silenced 223. That's the point, stupid. Men with 100x your knoweledge experience agree that the .22 unit training IS transferable to 223 skill, even without the suppressor on the 223. men like Jerry Miculek, Jame Yeager and Reid Hendrichs.
Now calm down, Melvin. Don't lose it again and resort to vulgarity and name calling. How many of these have you fired in the last forty years? I shoot AR-15's, Mi-1 Garands, and AK's regularly. As far as noise in a small area, does shooting an M-16A1 from inside a sandbagged bunker count? Sure it's loud, but truth be told I don't even remember the noise.
Attached Thumbnails
AR-15 For Home Defense-ar-15-s-large.jpg   AR-15 For Home Defense-ak-s-sks-s.jpg   AR-15 For Home Defense-img_0551.jpg   AR-15 For Home Defense-img_1691.jpg  
BigEd likes this.
 
Old 10-27-2020, 11:56 AM   #15
Registered User
 
Joined: May 2004
From: Central Arkansas

Posts: 5,178
Much firearm practice isn't necessary:
Quote:
Originally Posted by boati View Post
...you dont need all that much practice to stay top notch.
Firearm practice is critical, requiring thousands - to hundreds of thousands - of rounds to be adequate:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikto View Post
...it takes 5000 rds of CF pistol practice to STAY good...
Quote:
Originally Posted by boati View Post
...pocket 9mm's can't stand up to the 1/4 milllion rds you'll need to shoot in order to get and stay proficient.


Just fwiw.
BigEd likes this.
 
Old 10-27-2020, 01:28 PM   #16
Registered User
 Terry G's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004

Posts: 4,988
Any handgun practice from .22LR to .45 ACP can be replicated with an airsoft pistol. (With a suppressor)
 
Old 10-27-2020, 02:10 PM   #17
Registered User
 Garand's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
From: Canadian Badlands

Posts: 8,858
Again Melvin, what about places that the AR 15 has been banned? What is your secondary choice?
Terry G likes this.
 
Old 10-27-2020, 03:17 PM   #18
Registered User
 Terry G's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004

Posts: 4,988
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garand View Post
Again Melvin, what about places that the AR 15 has been banned? What is your secondary choice?
hey, Garand what's the status of SKS's now? How about M1's? If they ever open the boarder I may have to change my plans.
 
Old 10-27-2020, 07:08 PM   #19
Registered User
 Garand's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
From: Canadian Badlands

Posts: 8,858
So far they haven't touched either SKS's or M1 Garands, but if taking the Executive Order (we call it an OIC, Order in Council) to our Supreme Court expect more guns to be banned past 2022.
 
Old 10-28-2020, 05:33 AM   #20
Registered User
 
Joined: May 2004
From: Central Arkansas

Posts: 5,178
Is it AR specific, or is it guns that have detachable magazines? I'd lean toward the M1 carbine if it was an option.
 
Reply

  Arms Locker > Arms Locker > Gun Talk


Thread Tools
Display Modes






Powered by vBulletin 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © 2003 - 2011 Arms Locker. All rights reserved.