So you shoot someonelses reloads? - Arms Locker
Arms Locker Gun Forum
Go Back   Arms Locker > Arms Locker > Reloading


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2016, 03:01 PM   #1
Registered User
 Terry G's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004

Posts: 4,327
So you shoot someonelses reloads?

I did once, never do it again. A friend gave me a box of soft point .223's for Deer hunting. Loaded up my trusty AR-15 and got a pop!, not a bang. Pulled the bullet and found no powder. Now curious, I pulled the bullet on another round and found a LOT of powder. Disposed of the box. What if the second round had been fired first? I was at the range when a co-worker was shooting a S&W 4 inch .357 Magnum and hit a bad reload. Cylinder and frame wrecked. He got the re-loads from a friend also.
 
Remove Ads
Old 11-01-2016, 03:40 PM   #2
Registered User
 Garand's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
From: Canadian Badlands

Posts: 8,034
Days before I started reloading in 1986, I had a member of the club I belonged to load .30-06 for my Garand. Every shot was a new experience. I went out and bought a basic reloading kit plus scale. Took 10 bullets apart, there were 3 different types of powder, 3 different types of bullets and about 4 different weights.

When I asked him about this he said "I thought you just wanted something that went bang". Unbelievable
 
Old 11-01-2016, 03:47 PM   #3
Registered User
 
Joined: Jun 2015
From: Girard, IL

Posts: 1,130
Never again, last year a guy gave me a few boxes of 38 reloads that one stuck
.in the barrel of a 2 1/2in. model 19, was hanging out the end. Pulled them down for the brass. Will not buy gun show krap either. Have some old hunting stuff I loaded back in the 79s that works great.
































i
 
 
Old 11-01-2016, 03:50 PM   #4
Registered User
 
Joined: Jun 2016
From: USA

Posts: 1,430
plenty of people bought mine, but I'd have to have seen the guy load and shoot a lot of his stuff before I'd trust it and not even then if it was to be defensive or hunting stuff.
 
Old 11-02-2016, 05:31 AM   #5
Registered User
 
Joined: Jun 2016
From: USA

Posts: 1,430
so you dont trust anyone to reload, but we're supposed to trust everyone to ccw a pistol?
 
Old 11-02-2016, 05:50 AM   #6
Registered User
 
Joined: May 2004
From: Central Arkansas

Posts: 3,959
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme View Post
so you dont trust anyone to reload, but we're supposed to trust everyone to ccw a pistol?
Just because I think people should have the right to reload their own ammo, doesn't mean that I have to be willing to put their loads thru my gun. No different than them cooking their own meals; just because I may not be willing to eat their cooking doesn't mean they shouldn't have the right to cook their own dinner, does it?

I shoot factory ammo, I shoot my loads, and there are one or two guys (who I've known for a long time and who I'd trust with my back, my home, and my bank account) whose reloads I'd trust. But reloads in general, from people in whose intellect and maturity I have no reason to have a huge amount of trust? Not a chance. I don't even shoot commercial "remanufactured" stuff.

I think everyone who's free to roam around in public should have the right to CCW. Never understood the argument that someone can be too dangerous to trust with a pocket gun, yet trustworthy enough to be out among our kids at the mall in the first place.


Are you saying you don't think people should have the right to reload, or are you saying that they shouldn't have the right to CCW?
 
Old 11-02-2016, 02:53 PM   #7
Registered User
 
Joined: Jun 2016
From: USA

Posts: 1,430
they are not conscientious enough with priming, charging, seating a bullet, but we trust them to shoot straight, only if tactically sound and called-for? cops can't do so after 40-50 hours of instruction with guns, and 100's of hours of practice at stressful decision making as to legalities, but civilians with NO such training, they're ok to handle such occasions?
 
Old 11-02-2016, 04:24 PM   #8
Registered User
 Terry G's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004

Posts: 4,327
Isn't this Apple's and Oranges?
 
Old 11-02-2016, 05:02 PM   #9
Registered User
 
Joined: May 2004
From: Central Arkansas

Posts: 3,959
Once again:
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme View Post
they are not conscientious enough with priming, charging, seating a bullet, but we trust them to shoot straight, only if tactically sound and called-for? cops can't do so after 40-50 hours of instruction with guns, and 100's of hours of practice at stressful decision making as to legalities, but civilians with NO such training, they're ok to handle such occasions?
You're afraid to go on record responding to a simple, direct question:
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in AR View Post
...Are you saying you don't think people should have the right to reload, or are you saying that they shouldn't have the right to CCW?
Simple question, yet you can't bring yourself to go on record with a direct response. Let me show you how easy it is - I believe they should have the right to reload and the right to CCW.

How about you?
 
Old 11-02-2016, 07:51 PM   #10
Registered User
 Terry G's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004

Posts: 4,327
What does a question about reloads have to do with carrying a concealed weapon?
 
Old 11-03-2016, 05:25 AM   #11
Registered User
 
Joined: Jun 2016
From: USA

Posts: 1,430
not at all. I just mostly dont read your stuff. Yeah, I've MANY times gone on the record saying most people dont have the self control or skill level to be ccwing. To included most cops. The issue is, who makes the call about the inept being denied?. NOTICE how much resistance there is to REALISTIC guidelines, as in:" react to a signal make a ccw draw and hit 2 guys in the chest, at 10 ft, 5 ft apart, in 1.5 second" (as is highly likely to be what's needed in a robbery, rape, dog attack, etc.) This standard is quite easily attained with airsoft practice but violently resisted by those who are too damned lazy to do the little bit of work involved in passing such a test. They've got 1000's of dollars to waste on plinking and BE and cowboy bs, but dont you dare insist that they be waf at what matters!

Last edited by justme; 11-03-2016 at 11:25 AM.
 
Old 11-03-2016, 05:56 AM   #12
Registered User
 
Joined: May 2004
From: Central Arkansas

Posts: 3,959
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme View Post
...REALISTIC guidelines, as in:" react to a signal make a ccw draw and hit 2 guys in the chest, at 10 ft, 5 ft apart, in 1.5 second, as is highly likely to be what's needed in a robbery, rape, dog attack, etc...
Got it. You're saying that only healthy, fast-moving people should be allowed to carry a concealed handgun for protection.

Because that's what your definition of "realistic guidelines" means.


If you'd just let go of your anger and bitterness toward the world in general, you'd quit saying such stupid things.
 
Old 11-03-2016, 12:47 PM   #13
Registered User
 Terry G's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004

Posts: 4,327
Common repeated thread: Airsoft is all you need. I hate Cop's and Dog's. I hate Garand. (Cowboy Action Shoot's)
 
Old 11-03-2016, 01:55 PM   #14
Registered User
 
Joined: May 2004
From: Central Arkansas

Posts: 3,959
And "Carrying a gun is everyone's right. Well, everyone who deserves it. Actually, only everyone who is me."
 
Old 11-04-2016, 10:44 AM   #15
Registered User
 
Joined: May 2004
From: Central Arkansas

Posts: 3,959
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme View Post
not at all. I just mostly dont read your stuff. Yeah, I've MANY times gone on the record saying most people dont have the self control or skill level to be ccwing. To included most cops. The issue is, who makes the call about the inept being denied?. NOTICE how much resistance there is to REALISTIC guidelines, as in:" react to a signal make a ccw draw and hit 2 guys in the chest, at 10 ft, 5 ft apart, in 1.5 second" (as is highly likely to be what's needed in a robbery, rape, dog attack, etc.) This standard is quite easily attained with airsoft practice but violently resisted by those who are too damned lazy to do the little bit of work involved in passing such a test. They've got 1000's of dollars to waste on plinking and BE and cowboy bs, but dont you dare insist that they be waf at what matters!
Godallmighty - rather than respond, you come back more than five hours later and edit your post around the quoted part. This is why people constantly harp for specific replies to specific questions. Because rather than simply make unequivocated statements of belief or opinion the way grownups do, you can't bring yourself to commit to specifics about anything that involves documentation or demonstration.

On your "too damned lazy to do the little bit of work" comment. You've spent years (decades) telling anyone who would listen, how great you are with a handgun. And for years (decades), you've shown exactly nothing. Nothing. Because you either can't do what you claim, or you're too lazy to document your claims.

When was the last time you had an actual "go-to-work-and-get-a-paycheck-where-they-held-out-taxes" job? You talk about being a black-belt badass, so it can't be that you're physically unable to get a job. I know many ex-convicts including one brother that are employed, so it can't be that your prison record precludes you from getting a job. Or is it because you're too lazy?

I've never made claims of pistol greatness, but have posted videos of pistol shooting on a timer. You have never posted any documentation of your pistol greatness; is it because you're lying about your skill, or because you're too lazy to document your claims?

I've never made claims of greatness with a carbine either, but have posted video of carbine shooting on a timer. You have never posted documentation of your carbine skill; is it because you're lying about your skill, or because you're too lazy?

"Godallmighty" for real, John. An anonymous, online forum like this and you STILL can't find the intestinal fortitude to stand by a set of beliefs or principles without going back and changing your words. If your words make sense, they don't need changing, other than for typos & such. If your words are indicative of genuinely-held beliefs and opinions, you should HATE having them changed even by others; certainly shouldn't jump at chances to go back and change them yourself.

But when they're irrational and DON'T have any basis in personal beliefs or opinions, you might as well change them willy-nilly and then skitter like a cockroach out of the room to create the next "milspec 45acp is inadequate for woodchucks" thread...
 
Old 11-04-2016, 12:09 PM   #16
Registered User
 Garand's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
From: Canadian Badlands

Posts: 8,034
Melvin, why do you care so much how I and others spend OUR MONEY? We aren't spending your money. Melvin, Please post pictures of all your plaques, certificates, belt buckles and pins that you have won in competition in the last 48 months. Also please list all regional, national and international matches that you have competed, in any discipline during that time. Otherwise you can just go back to being jealous a little bit longer.

Last edited by Garand; 11-04-2016 at 12:13 PM.
 
Reply

  Arms Locker > Arms Locker > Reloading


Thread Tools
Display Modes






Powered by vBulletin 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © 2003 - 2011 Arms Locker. All rights reserved.