soft armor, powerful ammo means more - Arms Locker
Arms Locker Gun Forum
Go Back   Arms Locker > Gun Forums > Handguns


Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Terry G
  • 1 Post By gripper
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2017, 10:40 PM   #1
Registered User
 
Joined: Apr 2017
From: USA

Posts: 25
soft armor, powerful ammo means more

the difference between A and B class scores, and I assure you, I can most definitely post Nationals level B class scores at the sub 10m stuff, and do it with an alloy 9mm Commander, from concealment under a T shirt. :-) The odds of a civilian needing to fire at more than 10m are about like the odds of being hit by a motorcycle. (in the US). it can happen, but nobody's worried about it. So why waste time and ammo on being able to "handle" it?
 
Remove Ads
Old 06-03-2017, 10:04 AM   #2
Registered User
 
Joined: Oct 2003
From: nashua nh

Posts: 2,583
Because it never hurts to cross train or stretch comfort zones. I do agree with you regarding most matters being resolved up close,but it's nice to have options.
 
Old 06-03-2017, 02:21 PM   #3
Registered User
 Terry G's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004

Posts: 4,387
I got hit by a motorcycle twice. I train from 3 to 25 yards.
 
 
Old 06-03-2017, 02:27 PM   #4
Registered User
 
Joined: Oct 2003
From: nashua nh

Posts: 2,583
I still shoot to 25 yards myself... although, I seem to work the 7-15 yard targets over the most on the " draw and shoot/low ready to shoot" stages...do some retention position shots under 7with the Makarovs or the Glock. 25-75(or more)with the AK pistol when I feel like some Blunt Force Trauma With Fire ��
 
Old 06-03-2017, 04:32 PM   #5
Registered User
 Terry G's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004

Posts: 4,387
That's my thinking, too. Of course, I have to shoot at 25 yards for my yearly LESB qualification, but even if I didn't, I would practice at 25. It certainly can't hurt to have confidence at longer range.
 
Old 06-04-2017, 06:40 AM   #6
Registered User
 
Joined: May 2004
From: Central Arkansas

Posts: 4,029
Cool thing about modern advances is that you can get actual, consistent, factory-made ammo capable of those things. Factory ammo that can be fired from a readily available pistol; whether you prefer single-stack, double-stack, steel-frame, alloy-frame, or even polymer-frame, and whether you prefer 1911 or Glock.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry G View Post
I got hit by a motorcycle twice. I train from 3 to 25 yards.
I got hit by a police car once while walking down the sidewalk one time. True story. It was 1982; had just left a tattoo shop in Columbus Georgia with a buddy on a Friday night, on a weekend pass from Ft. Benning.
 
Old 06-04-2017, 09:33 AM   #7
Registered User
 Terry G's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004

Posts: 4,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by gripper View Post
I still shoot to 25 yards myself... although, I seem to work the 7-15 yard targets over the most on the " draw and shoot/low ready to shoot" stages...do some retention position shots under 7with the Makarovs or the Glock. 25-75(or more)with the AK pistol when I feel like some Blunt Force Trauma With Fire ��
Still banging away with those Makarov's, Gripper? I have been shooting my East German one, but the IJ with those add on sights pretty much stay's in the safe. The Bulgarian's good, if a bit lacking in finish. My Wife likes the CZ82 better and is her "House Gun". I keep hers loaded with 94 GR Silver Bear HP's. Did you ever hear of 120 Gr HP's in 9X18MM? A guy on the C&R Forums has some and complained that they "kick" too much in his P64. Wow! You think? I never heard of them before. Not made anymore, by the reports.
gripper likes this.
 
Old 06-04-2017, 02:45 PM   #8
Registered User
 Garand's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
From: Canadian Badlands

Posts: 8,084
Versatility & Flexibility beats being a "one trick pony" any day. I compete with multiple types of handguns anywhere from 7 yds to 25 yds.
 
Old 06-06-2017, 07:43 PM   #9
Registered User
 
Joined: Oct 2003
From: nashua nh

Posts: 2,583
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry G View Post
Still banging away with those Makarov's, Gripper? I have been shooting my East German one, but the IJ with those add on sights pretty much stay's in the safe. The Bulgarian's good, if a bit lacking in finish. My Wife likes the CZ82 better and is her "House Gun". I keep hers loaded with 94 GR Silver Bear HP's. Did you ever hear of 120 Gr HP's in 9X18MM? A guy on the C&R Forums has some and complained that they "kick" too much in his P64. Wow! You think? I never heard of them before. Not made anymore, by the reports.
I remember the 115 grain stuff,but AFAIK the 9x18 mm case-as much as I like is-has a limit regarding OAL... That Buffalo Bore and Underwood stuff was the Hard Cast FP heavy weights but I never used the 120 grain stuff.. personally,although HPs are desired for social work I actually prefer a HCFP or an FMJ in certain calibers and circumstances... I would rather there be enough retained bullet weight before wanting it to open up(and possibly break up)in tissue.
In the end,all I really cared/care about is 1) Do they fees,fire and extract reliably and 2) Can I hit under stress? .. everything else is as much of an over thought as " My Bullet Is Better Because It Has Six Petals When It Opens and Yours Only Has Five".
Terry G likes this.
 
Old 06-09-2017, 01:03 PM   #10
Registered User
 
Joined: Oct 2016
From: Somewhere

Posts: 48
People still use soft armor in the capacity of a preferred item when Alumina and Silicon Carbide is cheaper than ever domestically?

Hell, most armor now will stop a .338 and be in less than double the weight class of soft armor, not like you'd live through being shot with such a round within 100 yards regardless once the pressure wave gives you an embolism and worse.
 
Reply

  Arms Locker > Gun Forums > Handguns


Thread Tools
Display Modes






Powered by vBulletin 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © 2003 - 2011 Arms Locker. All rights reserved.